Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Epic Struggle: Brick and Mortar Store Vs. MtG

So I'm going to do a little switching up of the format of this blog a bit, to be very inclusive for my friends and take the focus of what all my friends have to say instead of just sharing my opinions. Oh, don't get me wrong. My opinions will be shared. Probably at length and longer than a lot of what my friends have to say. Still, though, this blog was made primarily as a fun outlet of dispute and discussion amongst people I respect that share a lot of the same interests as I do.

So here we go, kicking it off. The question itself might not seem very intuitive, but I promise there is more to it than meets the eye.

Which do you love more? If you had to choose one, would it be your brick and mortar store you frequent? Or playing Magic the Gathering? If it came down to making a choice to sacrifice one in order to preserve the other, what is your choice?

My take after the jump.

I've attached myself to many a brick and mortar store. Some of them I never really thought I'd like, and yet I've returned to them time and time again. One of them in particular I'd like to point out is my "pet" store, the one I'll always be attached to due to the most fond of memories there, dating as far back as my middle school days when I didn't really even understand what I was doing there.

Shameless plug to my favorite store, Sarge's Comics smack in the midst of downtown New London, CT. I've been going here for years now and can remember role-playing D&D back in the day with a group of people I didn't know plus one of my longest-standing best friends who incidentally is now the games manager at this very store. From middle school into high school, and then summers when I was in college. I even started a MtG movement there that's grown since my days of being the coordinator and judge there. And now, whenever I can fit time to visit on weekends, I do.


Here is where I start to veer on a bit of a tangent.

I'm not saying anyone has to choose one over the other. It just seems to me that MtG and the development that the beloved WotC has given us as a game we all love and cherish (or loathe, whatever the case may be) directly interferes with the brick and mortar stores we also love. It might not seem very practical to say this, so I'll expand. How much do you actually think a store makes on an event as casual as an FNM (Friday Night Magic)? I won't bog you down with too much math, but let me be honest with you - it is my best guesstimate that stores LOSE money to the average FNM event. They MAY not lose money for the night, but for the event itself, this is a net loss of money.

Don't believe me? Let's say it's draft night. Everyone pays $15 (this is a standard payment for entrance to a draft) and they get 3 packs of the most recent Magical cards. Let's say it's an awesome night and there are 30 people. Why, Lawgikill Panda, that's $450! Sure. But how much of that is profit? Maybe... $230. Now take into account the person or people that have to work those hours - 30 people. If they're speedy spell slingers, that's a three hour minimum. $200. And store overhead? Lights, heat or air conditioning, and cleaning up after everyone. $100? Maybe. What about prize support after that? Profit margin cut down to a negative number after prize support. SO WHY? Why do store owners put up with this week after week when they may or may not make their money back due to gamers buying drinks and possibly card singles, sleeves, and other random accessories?


For love of their customer base. Trust me. Any brick and mortar owner loves their customers. I urge all of you to actually get to know the owner of the store you frequent. You'll realize that what I say is true to a tee, even if it is not readily apparent. These store owners understand that their customers will return week after week for an event and be able to sling their cards again and again to try and prove their mettle against friends and "that jerk wad over there" that proves to be public enemy number one for some reason or another. Just keep in mind this rant.


Which do you love more? Magic or your store? And I'm not saying this to inspire you to choose one or the other. Just realize that the store is sacrificing to host events. No matter what store you go to, don't bitch too much about the prize support. They're doing the best they can. And buy something - even a drink or two helps to soak up the red margin. It is in the store's best interest to try and cross-integrate their customers. What would be better than a frequent Magic slinger? Why, a Magic slinger that happens to fall in love with some comic. Or a table-top RPer that finds their way to the Magic table every now and again.

Overall, though, you have to wonder if WotC understands the economics behind their choices. Yes. They are making money for themselves as any business wants to. But they're a large ass company now. And yes, they do give SOME kickbacks to brick and mortar locations, but I find that largely, that's more of an incentive for distributors rather than WotC itself. Is WotC evil? Hardly. No more than any other big name brand, as it were. Oh well. Just remember to show some love to your local brick and mortar store. And keep going back. Not like I have to tell you that.

No comments:

Post a Comment